Gas supply through the Escravos-Lagos Pipeline which was razed by fire on January 2 has resumed following the completion of repair works on the facility. The fire outbreak crippled electricity generation and twice while the pipeline was yet to repaired, the national grid experienced system failure.
Expressing excitement at the restoration of gas supply through the pipeline, the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, said supply will soon resume after tests.
“I am happy to inform Nigerians that on Sunday, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation informed us that repairs had been completed. What remains is to test the lines and restore pressure and supply to the generation companies,” he said.
The NNPC also confirmed this, stating that the Escravos-Lagos Pipeline, which came down last week as a result of the fire incident, had been restored and gas supply to customers on the line, including power generating companies, had resumed.
The incident affected gas supply to customers in Ondo, Ogun and Lagos states, with subsequent shutdown of a number of power plants.
With the restoration of the ELP and resumption of gas supply, the affected power plants, with a combined generating capacity of 1,143 megawatts, will resume power generation.
The power plants include Egbin in Lagos; Olorunshogo, PEL Olorunshogo and Paras in Ogun; and Omotosho in Ondo.
The 36-inch Escravos to Lagos pipeline system was built in 1989 to supply gas from Escravos in the Niger Delta to various consumption utilisation areas.
It supplies gas to power plants in the South-West and also feeds the West African Gas Pipeline System.